Role: Software Engineering Intern at Symbium
Reports To: Engineering Lead
Revolutionizing Public Access to Information about Properties in the US
At Symbium, we make it easy for the masses to interact with and understand the consequences of laws and regulations through our web applications. We are currently focused on streamlining the regulatory review of residential construction projects in the US. Unfortunately, data about properties is hard to access, and this limits our ability to scale Complaw® web services for the public and local governments.
The public's access to property data is currently mired with bottlenecks.
- Data about properties is not available, not easily accessible, and/or expensive to access ( including basic information about property assessments).
- A holistic view of a property may only be formed by synthesizing information from multiple sources, with different file formats, vocabulary, and granularity of information.
- Unlike Google and Amazon, access to information about a property, when available, is gated by the need to specify an identifier for the property, e.g, address or a tax identifier such as APN.
- Data obtained from official sources can, often, conflict and there isn't an easy way for users to either understand the provenance of the property information displayed or to request changes.
To alleviate the above bottlenecks, and to make it easy and engaging for the public to access and search property-related information, Symbium launched the first of its kind publicly accessible and free-to-use property information portal for the US last year.
We are now working towards enabling a seamless permit transaction experience for home improvement projects, reducing processing times from several months to a few days. A big part of this ambitious project involves the codification of local and state regulations as computable regulations, enabling users to determine whether their home improvement projects are in compliance with the regulations. We are looking for software engineering interns to help us with this effort.
Role & Responsibilities
- Work closely with our product managers and other software engineers to build new prototypes, products, or features from start to finish: from conception through release and maintenance.
- Find authoritative sources of structured data across multiple geographies and create scripts to extract this data.
- Encode relevant laws and regulations using a logic programming language.
Experience & Qualifications
Who you are:
Nice to haves:
- Excited at the opportunity to build a complex web application from the ground up.
- Team player who is passionate about being a part of a tight-knit and nimble team.
- Have a working front end knowledge (HTML, CSS, JS).
- Have a working knowledge of relational databases (e.g., MySQL, Postgres)
- Able to meet tight deadlines.
- Resourceful, and excited about exploring creative ways of solving problems and learning on the job.
- Understands the significance of good software development practices such as unit tests, profiling, prototypes etc.
- Familiarity with deploying web applications on AWS.
- Have experience with Git.
- Background in using technology to solve problems in the regulatory space.
This is a US-based consulting position. Symbium is an equal opportunity employer.